I had a great talk with a friend at our church Leaders Retreat. She helped me to reflect on my last 6-7 years as a Christian. I admit that I can only call myself Christian from when I was 21- the time I understood justification by grace through faith- with a faith that is repentant and obedient. She asked whether God had grown me and kept me passionate for the gospel throughout the entire time. And I can confidently say that He has sustained me throughout. I can't think of a time when I was stagnant and not moving anywhere (actually, a pastoral letter I read recently said we're never "not moving" but always going either forwards or backwards, so if we feel like we're plateau-ing then we're probably going backwards..).
It makes me so thankful to have a God who not only loves me to the point of sending His Son to die and be raised so I could have new life and a relationship with Him, but who also loves me in the way He continues even now to hold onto me as His child. I am so struck by these truths, that my heart aches.. do you know that feeling you have when you are so overwhelmed by love??! Please pray Ephesians 3:16-19 for me, that I would always seek to know how wide and long and high and deep the love of Christ is.
No comments:
Post a Comment