Monday, 7 January 2008

Lessons from Katoomba

I was thinking of writing my reflections for 2007 but have been so tired lately that the mere thought of doing that tires me already! So instead, some things that have been on my mind lately...

I've just returned from co-leading a strand group for the first time at KYLC (Katoomba Youth Leaders Convention) and have learnt so much. The passage we were using to teach our strand group how to write a Bible study was James 3:13-18 which is all about true heavenly wisdom. My co-leader and I discovered that God teaches that true heavenly wisdom is other-person centred and shown by a life lived in humility. Humility is an area that I really struggle with in my life and will probably struggle with for the rest of my time here on earth. A lot of it has to do with being involved in up-front ministry at church and also at college. It means I'm constantly self-aware and needing to ask myself whether I agree to serve because I have a desire to be seen by others (completely selfish) or whether my motives are completely pure. I want so much to have a "pure heart" but know this isn't always true of what I'm feeling. Please pray that I would be serving others and God because I desire to be obedient above all.

My strand group was mostly made up of 16yr olds and initially gave me the uneasy feeling of being back at high school and wanting these kids to like me and feel accepted by them. I felt I got along really well with them but I have a problem with forgetting that I have complete acceptance in Christ because of His work on the cross and this is more than enough for me! It's God's acceptance of me that I should be much more concerned about.

I had some great conversations at KYLC too- one involved talking about feeling ashamed about past sin. I shared with this person something life-changing I had heard from Greta Gaut at a previous Women's Katoomba Convention. She was speaking from Hebrews and said that if we believe Jesus to be our great High Priest then we need to trust that He truly is.. meaning that if we have repented of past sin then we should no longer be feeling ashamed of it otherwise it is as if we don't trust Jesus' sacrifice is enough to take our sin away. This has really helped me to see my past sin in a different light- yes, I am still deeply regretful that I ever lived in such outright disobedience to God, but I am deeply grateful for Jesus and His death and resurrection which has given me new life. It still constantly blows me away that God could so love a wretch like me.

No comments: