Thursday, 14 February 2008

Feeling weak

What a week!! It's been an exhausting time for me and I feel like a "bad wife" because I haven't had time to cook dinner every night this week... (to all you wives out there, this doesn't make you a bad wife! I'm just expressing how I feel at this moment, slightly overwhelmed with things I need to do and not fulfilling what I usually get done at home..). I've taken on a student rep role at SMBC this year, which involves a whole bunch of different things but at this time of the year, it involves delegating duties to students and organising them in general. There are 3 of us who are in charge of the Day students (full time students who don't live on campus and travel to and from campus each day) of which there are 115 in total this year. The organising/administration stuff we've had to do over the past few weeks has been extremely challenging for me as I feel that I'm not gifted in this area AT ALL!!

So with this overwhelming feeling weighing down on me, it was timely to hear a sermon from one of my lecturers on Monday morning in Chapel on 2 Corinthians 4. (Just to fill you in, Chapel is a half hr on Monday and Friday mornings before lectures commence where we have the opportunity to hear a sermon and sing a song together as a college community). Tim asked the question: How are we going to display God's glory in this world? He answered that it is to follow the apostle Paul's example in 2 Cor. 4, that we are to display God's glory not in our method but in our message.

The message we are to preach is Christ and not ourselves (v5). We might be putting a lot of energy into developing these great programs at church but if we are not preaching Christ then God's glory isn't seen, regardless of how great the welcoming ministry might look. By not preaching ourselves and instead boasting in our weaknesses, we ensure that power comes from God (v7). We should boast and delight in our suffering, struggles and feelings of incompetence because we can trust that God uses weakness to reveal His power. How do we glorify God? By boasting in our weaknesses for Christ's sake, that His power might rest upon us (2 Cor. 12:9-10).
I really needed to hear this!! Not only was I feeling overwhelmed with administration jobs but also with my first ever Primary School Scripture Classes (Yr 1 and Yr 4) on Tuesday morning. I've never done children's ministry despite loving being with children. I chose Scripture for this very reason as part of my field work for my Diploma so that I could be challenged and pushed in different directions. I was mostly apprehensive about the disciplining part that comes with having to teach 15 kids at a time.. so it helped to spend time praying before Scripture on Tuesday morning, confessing my weaknesses to my all powerful, capable Father and asking that Christ's power would be seen clearly through me that He might be glorified. I still feel a bit scared about Scripture and how it will go through the year but I do trust in our Sovereign God.

Hmm, that deserves a big *SIGH*! A content one of course..! I think it's time to do my Genesis reading in the bath...



No comments: