Monday, 15 March 2010

In need of disicpline

I keep saying to J "I really need to be doing some regular exercise!". I feel lazy, unmotivated and really unfit! I used to think that the combination of breastfeeding, running around after E and carrying her all day was enough, particularly since I lost a load of weight after giving birth. But now that I've cut down on the b/feeding and E is much more independent in running around by herself, I don't think I can use that excuse anymore! So I wondered to myself- what kind of cardio work out can I be doing during the day? I thought running might be the best bet- it's free and we didn't bring our bikes up with us. Ok, got the kind of exercise figured out. Next, when am I going to do it? Being a stay at home mum and having Emma with me from 7am to 7pm, means I can't go running on my own. Night times are ruled out because apart from being scared of the dark, I'm terrified of toads! I know, I know.. as Christians, what do we have to be afraid of?! It's just they jump around so unpredictably!

So I decided that I had to wake early before the household was up- maybe 5:30am to go for a morning run. But that was before God spoke to me with this verse:

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (1 Tim. 4:8)


I reflected on how I was growing in godliness and realised that since aiming to change my quiet times to the time when E has her first nap, things hadn't been going to plan! I've been so busy with some ministries that I've been using that time to prepare Bible studies, talks and organising other things. Those aren't bad things of course, but it's definitely not the same as spending time with God, listening to Him speaking to me through His Word and speaking to Him. So it led me to think- if I can resolve to run at 5:30am each morning then why shouldn't I use that time to spend with God and grow in godliness which has far more value than physical training?

Besides this verse, I was also inspired by the life of Charles Simeon as told by John Piper here. Simeon would wake at 4am each morning to read the Bible and pray.. not because he was a morning person, in fact he was the complete opposite!

Early rising did not appeal to his natural tendency to self-indulgence, however, especially on dark winter mornings. . . . On several occasions he overslept, to his considerable chagrin. So he determined that if ever he did it again, he would pay a fine of half a crown to his "bedmaker" (college servant). A few days later, as he lay comfortably in his warm bed, he found himself reflecting that the good woman was poor and could probably do with half a crown.


Last night, I set my phone for an alarm due to go off every day at 5:30am so I could get up to spend some time with God before I start anything else. This morning, when the alarm went off, my first thought was "I'll just get up at 6 instead". But that dreaded snooze and not wanting to wake J and E caused me to hop out of bed quietly and sit in the living room with my Bible and prayer list. It's the best thing I've done in ages! No, I'm not a morning person. I would much prefer to stay in my warm bed with my husband and sleep until my baby's chatting wakes me up. But I guess that's what discipline is all about.. training yourself to do what doesn't come naturally. Please pray for me friends to be consistent in this and not give in to the desires of the flesh!! I know it was God's Spirit who helped me up this morning to praise and glorify Him.

Again in the words of my favourite Christian artist (who I'm sure you all know by now to be Sara Groves) "Let the first song that I sing, be praises to my God and King!"

PS. Yes, I know this doesn't solve the problem of being unfit.. I'm working on it!

6 comments:

island said...

nice to hear from you again after a long break ;)

indeed, so true! i am still trying to work hard on both spiritual and physical discipline!! will pray for you :)

celz said...

thanks friend :) (for prayers and for keeping up with me!)

Anonymous said...

i think i'd better do this as 'anonymous' in case what i say embarrasses my wife :p

i read (most of) the piper article on simeon just the other day. got a bit long for me tho. but talk about a tough crowd... he had perseverance, and then some!

anyways on the physical front, my wife uses these cheap DVDs (~$5? stuff like "kickboxing bootcamp") for working out at home in front of the TV - maybe something along those lines could be suitable for you, cos you can do that with emma in the house (sleeping / playing in a corner / out of reach of those kicks)

friend too :)

celz said...

Thanks anonymous :) I won't try to rack my brains wondering who you are :P Yeah, it's true what Piper said- if it were us facing the same persecution, we would've given up at the beginning or maybe seen it as a "sign" that this isn't the right ministry for us! Simeon was amazing in his perseverance.

As for the workout DVDs, great idea. I've been thinking the exact same thing actually after watching this hilarious video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rfuNK1_ipk

Maybe something similar but a little less corny...!

:)

Anonymous said...

nice work Celz (and Holy Spirit!) :) my form of discipline is reading my Bible before turning on the computer each morning :) k.

Anonymous said...

well i think that video was funny for about 30secs...