This kids talk/illustration is based on Acts 10-11 where God shows Peter that His gospel is for the Gentiles as well. The big idea was: God doesn't show favoritism, everyone can be a part of God's family if they want to be.
Props: small pack of lollies
Jules:
"Who knows what these are? (holding up lollies) That's right, they're lollies! But I only have one pack. So that means only one child gets them. Hmm.. let's see I have some requirements or rules written on cards in my pocket that you have to pass to get the packet of lollies.
Must be able to hop on one leg. Who can do that? (kids get up and show that they can)
Must be able to count backwards from 10 to 0. Who can do that? (kids count together)
Must be under 6yrs old. (kids put hand up if they are)
Must be a girl.
Must have long black hair
(At this point, the only child left was our Emma!)
Oh, Emma is the winner! And if she didn't win with that card, I also had "Must be named Emma". So here you go Emma, you get the lollies (hands them over).
So kids, was that very fair?
(Kids yell: NO!!!)
Why wasn't it fair? That's right, because I showed favoritism. I wrote the cards so that I knew Emma would be the one who got the lollies. That's not very fair is it? But luckily, God isn't like me. God doesn't show favoritism. The Bible tells us that God's love is for EVERYONE. It doesn't matter if you're a girl or a boy, if you have long black hair or not - whoever puts their trust in Jesus can be part of God's family. God's love is for everyone. Let's say thank you to God that He's not like me and doesn't show favoritism."
*Another fantastic kids talk tip I've learnt from Sandy Galea is to learn your conclusions off by heart. The conclusion is the part where you drive home your big idea and once the story is finished, kids often lose concentration. But if you make eye contact with them during the conclusion they're more likely to keep listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment