I've just come home from a theology class about "election"- for those of you who might never have heard about this, this is the definition we were given tonight (which comes from a Calvinist viewpoint which I believe is aligned with what the Bible says about election and salvation) :
The doctrine of election has to do with God's choice of certain groups and people to receive His grace. This choice is based on His sovereign pleasure and not on the value, goodness or disposition of those chosen.
There was of course, lots of discussion about human free will and how it all fits in. So, I can accept that as humans we have free will (ie. wills that are free to make choices) but that God is sovereign in our actions. However, because we make those choices, we are held accountable to our choices and therefore have responsibility. God will judge people on the basis of their choices.
This confuses me! I still don't really know how it all fits together and I'm not sure I'm meant to really understand it completely. Hopefully I haven't confused you. I was reminded tonight that the doctrine of election is a doctrine (for believers) that should result in security and godliness. How?
We can be secure in knowing that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:29-39).
The knowledge of our election should lead us to grow in godliness because it is known by the fruit in a person's life (1 Thess. 1:3-6; 2 Pet. 1:10).
The doctrine of election might cause us to wonder things such as, "Am I one of the elect?" but our lecturer John Adric (who I am beginning to really appreciate!!!) encouraged us not to be asking those questions of ourselves because the Bible doesn't emphasise this or ask this question. Instead the question should be "Do I believe?".
As I was reflecting about these things on the way home in the car, I realised that what I am most awed by, is the free and unconditional character of divine election, that I should be chosen by God to be His child- not because of who I am, that I am especially good or faithful or anything- but that in God's mercy He was pleased to choose me. I started thinking about my continual sin and knew it couldn't possibly be anything to do with me. Something John wrote in his notes, "The wonder is not that he withholds mercy to some, but that he should be gracious to any".
Our sermon in Principal's Hour this morning came from John 5, when Jesus healed the paralytic man beside the Pool of Bethesda. Something Anthony (Brammall) pointed out was that Jesus walked up to this man amongst the many of the blind, lame and paralyzed that were at the Pool. John doesn't tell us why this particular man was selected by Jesus and a few of us chatted about it afterwards wondering about the grace and mercy of God and how amazing it is that He does choose us. I hope I'm always conscious of this, that I would never boast about being in Christ but instead marvel at God's mercy shown to me.
3 comments:
[quote] So, I can accept that as humans we have free will (ie. wills that are free to make choices) but that God is sovereign in our actions. However, because we make those choices, we are held accountable to our choices and therefore have responsibility. God will judge people on the basis of their choices. [/quote]
David Cook mentioned something in regards to this at BLT, which I've been chewing on ever since. He said that biblically there is no mention of the idea of a 'free will'. Biblically our wills are enslaved by sin - meaning all our decisions are bent towards rebellion against God. It's by God's grace alone that we sometimes make good choices.
But you're right when you remind us that the wonder is not that some are saved and others aren't, the wonder is that any are saved at all. Praise the Lord for His sovereign grace :)
very tricky topic...
that sentence too about free will and God is sovereign in our actions also stumped me.
taking on what Cook said, if our will is bent towards sin then that will isn't really free is it? if it is only sometimes we can make good choices, ie. to follow God, isn't that choice not our will ultimately but God's will (election) for us?
then the 'free' will that we speak of, enslaved by sin thru livin in this world, will onli turn to God if it is God's sovereign decision....
so then wait, to wat extent is our will free??....
ugh - this gives me a headache.
Thanks for the comments! I understand where you're both coming from and I realise now I should've explained what I meant by "free will" (which I recognise isn't used in the Bible but is a term used by some systematic theologians when discussing God's providence).
Most people understand the term "free will" to mean genuine free will- ie. we can make free choices and God is not involved in determining what choices we make.
But when I spoke about it, I was referring to the free will that gives us the opportunity and freedom to make choices which goes hand in hand with God's sovereignty. He presents us with a range of choices - ie, he constrains our choices. He does not coerce us into making certain choices but is the one who gives us the options and we are the ones who make the choices.
I agree S, that enslaved natures will make decisions that bend towards rebellion against God. And understand that this may not appear so "free" at all! But though we are enslaved to sin, this doesn't mean we don't have responsibility for our actions or the choices we make because we can't blame our enslavement to sin for our wrong decision making. God will still hold us accountable to these choices. This is the view point (it's generally called "compatibilism" or "soft determinism") that I believe the Bible demonstrates. I think it's still a bit of a mystery and I don't entirely understand it.
But I think it's ok that I don't fully understand it. I accept how my life is: I know that I still have the opportunity to make choices and to me, it feels free. But I also know that I have a God who helps me to make the right choices as His child and ultimately is sovereign and in control and it's nice to rest in that.
Thankfully- God IS sovereign over our "free will" though we may not recognise it (to answer your question Mike) and His mercy is not based on the choices we make..
Post a Comment